"Together - Let us keep our neighborhood safe"

Friday, January 8, 2010

Jan 8 - A sad day for all Malaysians

Today Friday, Jan 8 is indeed a sad day for us all. It is not normal for me to post something with "political” connotations but I guess this issue cannot be ignored by us all who like to and have been living in peace as Malaysians. Just take a look at our 'beautiful' and peaceful kampung!

With the controversy surrounding the word “ALLAH” being pursued by narrow minded people and encouraged by inaction from the government, the inevitable has happened.

Malaysia today has joined the ranks of the Banana Republics of the world with the torching of the churches in the Klang Valley and the uncontested (by the police) protest by certain Muslim groups.

Aren’t we living in a multi-racial country where we so proudly call ourselves “Malaysia Truly Asia”? What went wrong?

But take heart; while there are such people with narrow views, there are also some like-minded people who make us truly Malaysians. I am extracting an article here written by Shahwan Mustapha Kamal which I think sums up the temporary loss of sanity in our country.

PEACE BE UPON YOU!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

What are you fighting for?
by Shazwan Mustafa Kamal


JAN 8 — This goes out to all the would-be protestors who plan to demonstrate after Friday prayers as well as the arsonists who are responsible for burning the churches.

Dear all,

Assalamualaikum. Do you know what this greeting actually means? Of course, you do. You probably say this a few times a day. Heck, the same people who were at the gathering outside the Sultan's palace yesterday said this to each other. You know what, even the cow’s-head protestors last year started their tirade after prayers with an "Assalamualaikum".

Let me ask you again: do you know what it means?

Never mind the fact that at least three churches have been attacked. Let's not think about the fact that huge protests are being planned today by "NGOs". Let's also not forget that many of these "champions" of Islam are fighting against non-Muslims being allowed to use "Allah". It's so "brilliant" what they are doing. I am SO sure that non-Muslims will be persuaded after this to convert to Islam.

In fact, judging from what's been happening in this country, from stepping on a cow's head, attacking churches, demonstrations... I'm pretty sure a really good picture of Islam is being painted, don't you think?

Let's forget all that. Freeze time, okay? Just for a minute, guys.

Now, I admit that I'm not an overly religious person. I don't pray five times a day, I question everything, I'm ruled by logic. But going back to when I was young, I remember asking my Ustaz this during Quran class:

Me: Ustaz, what does assalamualaikum mean?

Ustaz: My dear boy, that is a good question. It means PEACE BE UPON YOU. We say it to people when we meet them.

Now, I can't quote surahs like a learned scholar and point out verses to justify my point. Perhaps I've also grown jaded these days.

But you know something?

Peace be upon you. Imagine that. Such a beautiful translation, a phrase so simple yet so revealing about the nature of Islam. You do not need to go through scores of books to ascertain what Islam is. It's a religion of peace. Each time you meet someone, the first thing a true Muslims wishes on the other person is peace.

Now back to reality. Can you imagine a Muslim, all bent with purpose and determination, going somewhere with an intent to cause harm? What kind of Muslim is that? How does his faith propel him to propagate violence?

From what I understand the use of force is always the LAST RESORT in the Quran. (Check it yourself, my learned Muslim friends, yes you with the protest banners.)

And my friends, believe me... we are FAR from being put in a place where we have no other alternatives.

Wanting to harm another person, or even the thought of it, is clearly wrong in Islam, no matter what justification you give: you say that it is a question of aqidah, and you have to protect your religion from being belittled.

Hello, who is having a crisis of faith here? Christians using the word Allah will it cause Muslims to be converted to Christianity? How shallow can one's mindset be? If that is all it takes for your faith to be shaken, I think you're in big trouble my friend.

Violence is an easy way out, yes. It's also cool, isn't it, to be all high and mighty?

Forgive me. I digress at times. See I get carried away by emotions too, just like you.

You know what the difference between us is though? I always remember this old saying: sabar separuh daripada iman.

Patience is a test of faith indeed.

So how's your faith doing today?

No comments: