"Together - Let us keep our neighborhood safe"

Saturday, October 31, 2009

An outdoor adventure anyone?

Dear Residents,

Hope you have enjoyed the Deepavali celebrations as much as I have had. Somehow, this year, it felt as if the celebration was done on a grander scale. Not sure if it was my imagination but on the eve of Deepavali, that is, at precisely 12 midnight, fireworks and fire crackers were in full blast till late in the morning. It felt like Chinese New Year!

Anyway, I had my fair share of visiting some of our neighbours and had some great food and company. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Hope you had the same.

Ok, back to something more down to earth.

Rusli, one of our neighbours bumped into me recently in one of his evening walks. It was unusual to see him do that as he hardly takes leisure strolls around the neighbourhood. At least for me anyway. At that time, he was taking his walk with another one of our neighbour, Salleh.

We broke into a little chat and our topic centered mostly on how safe our neighbourhood had become since our G&G was launched about a year ago. They also mentioned that taking a stroll around our neighbourhood without having to look over our shoulders felt really great. I could not agree with them more.

The conversation then led to me finding out that Rusli was spending a lot of time in his 'adopted' kampung in Slim River as I had asked him earlier where he was as I hardly see him around our neighbourhood.

He told me that his kids were, well, they are no longer 'kids', have all grown up. Some either married or studying overseas. Thus, he could find the time to do what he likes - like spending more time in Slim River. How envious I was!

In fact, he has organised many trips for groups there to enjoy the nature, the water fall, the rapids, the fishing and many other activities.

I told him, I would like to share the story with our USJ 11/3 folks here in our kampung. He had since sent me some pictures taken in some of the excursions he had organised in the past. Please do take a look:





As host, he will make sure that there will be 4 wheel drives to take you into the jungle while you leave your car in a safe place. Once in jungle, you will get to enjoy nature at its best. Leave the cooking to him and his wife. They will make sure you get fed with 5 meals a day!

If you like to spend some time in Slim River for some adventure, you can reach Rusli Zahid at +6012-257 7539.

I don't know about you but I will be asking him to organise something for me and my family soon. Hope to see you in Slim River one of these days!

Cheers.

Jeffrey Khoo
Advisor
11 Trees @ USJ

No comments: