"Together - Let us keep our neighborhood safe"

Friday, June 26, 2009

M.J. is no more!


Yes, I know what you are saying - this is a community blog and so what has that got to do with Micheal Jackson?

Nothing really, except his passing was so sudden and overwhelming, I had to write something to pay tribute to this man who has help shaped the music and entertainment industry and brought a bit of magic into my life. Look at his video productions, always very lavish, elaborate and obviously very expensive. MTV started growing to what it is today - thanks to him.

Who would not have heard his hits like "Ben", "Billie Jean", "Rock with you", "Beat It", "Bad", "Black or White" or "Wanna be starting something" and so many others? Who could forget his "Thriller" video and the sinister laughter done by the legendary Vincent Price at the end of that hit song? Who could forget his contribution in "We are the world" to the sufferings and famine in Ethiopia?

And what about his smooth and legendary moonwalk (in Billie Jean video) that has inspired so many Michael Jackson wannabes? And there are still no shortages of that today!

You can say, I grew up with his music as I am from the same generation. And I am pretty sure a lot of you living here are too. Which means to say, he has, in some ways or other, touched our lives.

And I am sure there are no shortages of news and writeups about him in the newspaper, internet, etc. So, this is more of a tribute to Micheal Jackson from a local perspective. In my humble opinion, he was correctly and appropriately declared the "King of Pop". That title aptly fits him and rightly so.

Since then, I dare say, no one has come even close to claiming that title until today. He was ahead of his time and he was larger than life. He had a heart so big, it transcends generations, race, cultures and borders! That truly makes him a legend. Never mind his bizarreness and eccentricities and one who is never short of controversies.

In 1996, he brought magic to our shores in his "HISTORY" world tour. I had the chance to see his concert in Kuala Lumpur that October night. I brought my whole family along, together with my mother, who was still in her 60s then, to the concert.

The most expensive "History" tour made history that night, for me anyway! I still vividly remember the music, his dance moves, the props (remember the tank?), the pyrotechnics, the electrifying atmosphere. He even managed to say "Saya cinta Malaysia"! What a show it was!

And my whole family, especially my mother, who hardly speaks any English by the way, enjoyed it through and through. I am sure like me, she will be saddened by his passing.

That 2 days in October of 1996, Kuala Lumpur was rocked with Michael Jackson fever. It was not enough even after the promoter extended the concert from one to two shows. Those who did not manage to get to the concert were hoping against hope that there will be another which, of course, did not happen.

And I am sure some of you who are living here in USJ 11/3 may have made it to that show. You would agree with me then, it was a show of a lifetime. Never will I or have I seen anything like it. For that whole 2 hours, I was immersed in his world - the Michael Jackson world! I will never ever forget that night.

Do have a look at this link - www.nme.com/video/id/y83L7wJINO8/search/malaysia

Michael Jackson has given us (especially his generation) his gift of music and talent. And his legacy will live on forever here in Malaysia and around the world.

Heck, we even call our local concoction of soya-bean+cincau - "Michael Jackson" or MJ. Do that in a coffee shop and they will know in an instance what you are ordering!!

He may have left us but his music, his talent and his magic will live on forever.

Thank you Michael, for all your gifts to the world. May you find peace wherever your are.

1 comment:

Hannah Yeoh said...

Jeffrey,

I was there at the concert too and yes, what a show that was!

Hannah Y